Planning to go for a Himalayan Trek? Great! Going for a trek to Himalayas is one of the best unforgettable experiences. A trek in the Himalayas not only rejuvenate you but also help you to explore the wonders of the beautiful nature. However, proper planning and carrying the essential clothing and other accessories is must to enjoy your trek. Though, the Checklist for Himalayan Trekking while going on a Himalayan Trek, depends on a number of things i.e. How many days you are going to spend on the trek? What’s the altitude of the trek? Which month of the year, you will be trekking and what would be the temperature? Whether it would be a Rocky or Grassy or Snowy trek. Will you arrange everything of your own or some trekking agency will be assisting you for carrying luggage and cooking meals etc? So you need to consider all these variables before you finally prepare your checklist. Regardless of all the variables, most of the things remain the same in a Checklist for Himalayan Trekking.
Here is a list of essential things which you must carry with you while going for a Himalayan Trek.
- Backpack (60 – 70 L)
- Backpack Small ( 25 – 30 L)
- Rain Poncho ( Should cover you as well as the Back Pack)
- Warm Cap
- Sun Cap
- Sun Glasses
- Warm Jacket
- Sweat Shirts and Inners
- T-Shirts (Must be Quick Dry)
- Trek Pants or Hiking Pants
- Waterproof Warm Gloves
- Warm Socks (Avoid Cotton socks as it takes more time to get dry after sweating)
- Trekking Shoes ( Must be used before to check the comfort level)
- Floaters or Slippers to wear at the campsite
- Small Towel
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Mat
- Water Bottle
- Walking Stick
- Swiss Knife
- Fire Lighter or Match Stick
- Head Torch
- Moisturizer or Cold Cream
- Lip Cream
- Toilet Paper
- Hand Sanitizer
- Toilet Kit (Tooth Brush, Paste, Soap, Shampoo, Shaving Razor, scissor, mirror, comb etc.)
- Mosquito Repellent Cream (Mosquitoes are rare on Himalayas but good to keep it with you)
- Poly Bags for your shoes, dirty clothes etc.
- Bungee Chords
- Sewing Needle and thread
- Nylon Strings
- First Aid Kit
- Essential Medicines (Pain Killers, Anti Diarrhea Pills etc.)
- Medicine for Mountain Sickness (Diamox recommended )
- Vitamin B-Complex and other Multivitamin Tablets
- Dates and other Dry Fruits
- Packed Fruit Juices, Energy Drinks, Glucose and Electrolytes.
Entertainment and Extras:
- A book
- Cards or Chess or some other game like this
- A handy musical instrument like Flute or Mouth Organ
- Camera with Extra Batteries, Power Bank, Tripod, Monopod, Selfie-Stick
- Small Backpack is required if you take the assistance of a trekking agency and your Luggage will be carried by the potters or mules.
- Socks, Undergarments and T-Shirts should be of made of quick dry material.
- Sleeping Bag, Tent and Jacket should be according to the altitude you are going for the trek and should be good enough to keep you warm.
- You will have to carry cooking kit along with semi cooked and raw vegetables; in case you have not any trekking agency to provide you food.
- Keep your Backpack less than 15 Kg., if you want to enjoy the trek.
How did you like this blog? Please write to me in comments and also let me know if you feel that I left something.